On April 2, 1988, the Joaquin Murrieta Chapter 13 of E Clampus Vitus converged on Moller Park on Foothill Road in Pleasanton, Alameda County, for the dedication of a new historical plaque commemorating the discovery of gold in Gold Creek in 1871. The book "Dublin Gold" by Dan Mosier and Page Finney, provided the words for the bronze plaque, which was encased in a massive stone monument next to the creek.
View of the historical plaque monument on the bank of
Gold Creek near where gold was discovered in 1871.
Members of the Joaquin Murrieta Chapter 13 of E Clampus Vitus unveal the
Gold Creek historical plaque at Moller Park in Pleasanton, California.
Members of the Joaquin Murrieta Chapter 13 of E Clampus Vitus
crowd around the dedication of the Gold Creek historical plaque
at Moller Park in Pleasanton, California.
Closer view of Gold Creek historical plaque, which reads:
The Great Gold Discovery of 1871
On Feb. 8, 1871, two men, the names of Neal F. Taylor and Timothy Cox, who were looking for coal in the area found more than they were looking for. On this creek which comes down through the then Dougherty Ranch the two men found a gold nugget. They prospected the area finding more nuggets and gold dust. Soon others heard of this and there was a grand rush to gold creek. There were 20 claims staked and some 30 men working the creek for gold, which never produced much and was deserted by April 1871. There is no longer gold in the creek but it is yet another chapter of gold mining in Alameda County.
Mines Road Books - P.O. Box 3185 - Fremont, CA 94539